On this page are some common symptoms and possible causes of ‘paranormal’ phenomena.
Of course, this isn’t a complete list, and it cannot be assumed that these explain every single case. It’s the function of an investigation to uncover evidence for or against causes such as these.
- ‘I keep seeing or experiencing weird things whilst I’m in bed at night.’
Possible causes: Sleep-paralysis or night terrors, out-of-body experiences (OOBEs) and lucid dreams.
- ‘Spirits keep touching, pulling or slapping me.’
Possible cause: Myoclonic and hypnic jerks.
- ‘I’ve received disturbing messages from a Ouija board / pendulum / dowsing-rod.’
Possible cause: The ideomotor effect.
- ‘I keep seeing or sensing someone who recently died.’
Possible cause: Bereavement.
- ‘I’m troubled by the memory of something weird that happened years ago.’
Possible cause: False memory.
- ‘I’ve had a curse put on me.’
Possible cause: The nocebo effect.
- ‘Freaky, impossible things keep happening.’ (Telepathy, precognition, or other unlikely chains of events.)
Possible cause: Coincidences.
- ‘We’ve just moved into a haunted house.’
Possible cause: New House syndrome.
- ‘I’ve taken a photo and there’s something weird on it.’
Possible cause: Photographic anomalies.